For thou didst form my inward parts, thou didst knit me together in my mother's womb.
Step 1: Watch the Video
This video features abortion policy history, beautiful film footage of life in the womb, former abortionists explaining abortion using medical animation and fetoscopy, testimonials, and communication training.
Source Video Outline
Episode 2: Biology: What Is Life in the Womb?The Wonders of God’s Creation—Human Life: Crown of Creationhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBGZatl7GKk© 2022 Moody Publishers & Moody Bible Institute, www.moodypublishers.comBrought to Life: National Geographic’s The Womb by Roy Shakkedhttps://vimeo.com/56742451© 2022 Music to Moving Pictures, www.royshakked.com
Episode 3: Biology: What is Abortion?2nd Trimester Abortion—Dilation and Evacuation (D&E)—What Is Abortion? featuring former abortionist Kathi Aultman MDhttps://abortionprocedures.com© 2022 Live Action, www.liveaction.orgEclipse of Reason featuring actor Charlton Heston and former abortionist Dr. Bernard Nathansonhttps://vimeo.com/68151234© 2022 Bernadell Inc. All Rights Reserved. (Available for purchase at https://www.amazon.com/Eclipse-Reason-Charlton-Bernard-Nathanson/dp/ B002ZZ0N3C)
Episode 4: Testimonials: What Does Experience Say?HUSHhttps://projektor.com/u/mightymotionpictures/hushfilm© 2022 Mighty Motion Pictures, www.mightymotionpictures.com
Episode 5: Communication: How Is Truth Communicated with Compassion?When They Say, You Say (Key Pro-Life Arguments) by Olivia Gans-Turnerhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0iWES-2qFgWaterford Pro-LifeWhen They Say, You Sayhttps://ondemand.ewtn.com/paid/Home/Series/catalog/video/en/when-they-say-you-say© 2022 Eternal Word Television Network Inc. www.ewtn.com
2. Excerpt From a Letter Attributed to St. Barnabashttps://divineoffice.org/ord-w18-wed-or/ ) Liturgy of the Hours, Vol. IV, p.71
3. Excerpt from Against Apion, Book II, section 199, by Flavius Josephushttps://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus:text:1999.01.0216:book=2:section=199&highlight=abortion
4. Excerpt from Dobbs regarding Abortion under Common LawDobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, No. 19-1392,597 U.S. at 20 (2022)https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/21pdf/19-1392_6j37.pdf
5. Excerpt from Dobbs regarding British ParliamentDobbs, page 23
6. Excerpt from Dobbs regarding 19th Century U.S. State LawsDobbs, pg. 23
7. 1920 Russian Public Health AnnouncementBibleMesh Team, https://biblemesh.com/blog/early-evil-the-legalization-of-abortion-in-russia-1920/
8. Excerpt from the Physicians Oath, developed by the World Medical Association at the 1948 Geneva Convention.https://www.wma.net/what-we-do/medical-ethics/declaration-of-geneva/decl-of-geneva-v1948/
9. Excerpt from Dobbs regarding State Laws Before RoeDobbs, page 24
10. Excerpt from Doe v. Bolton Defining HealthDoe v Bolton, 410 U.S. 179 at 192 (1973) See paragraph 28 in this text:https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/410/179%26amp
11. Statistics Regarding Number of Abortion in the US Since Roe and Estimated Number of Late-term Abortionshttps://nrlc.org/uploads/factsheets/FS01AbortionintheUS.pdfhttps://lozierinstitute.org/late-term-abortion-stats/https://lozierinstitute.org/questions-and-answers-on-late-term-abortion/
12. Gandalf and Frodo ExchangeJ.R.R. Tolkien, The Lord of the Rings Part I, The Fellowship of the Ring, Book 1, Chapter 2.
13. The Geneva Consensus Declaration(2020 record of USA as a co-sponsor)https://digitallibrary.un.org/record/3894530?ln=zh_CN (and click on English PDF)(2021 version of the declaration with USA crossed off)https://www.theiwh.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/02/GCD-Declaration-2021-2.pdf
14. Excerpt from Dobbs Overruling RoeDobbs page 69
Biographies of Featured Speakers
Olivia Gans Turner
Step 2: Review Important Principles
Created Beings: All humans are precious because they are made in the image of God.
Health: Abortion is a deliberate act that kills an unborn child. It is harmful in various ways to the mothers.
"In the case of an abortion facility, someone always dies and someone else leaves wounded or maimed for life." (Olivia G. Turner)
Honesty: Words should be based on reality and clear in meaning. Use words that concisely create accurate mental images, (e.g. baby, mother, facility) See “When They Say…You Say” below for a review of some contrasting words.
Charity: Instructing the ignorant is a work of mercy. Explaining the truth about abortion can help prevent tragedies and lead to healing.
“The words that we use matter, because we’re always talking to someone who has a story of their own.” (Olivia G. Turner)
“Care for the person in front of you while you speak for the voiceless.”
- Olivia G. Turner
Step 3: Practice the Role-Play
Scenario #1: Facing Fatherhood
You’re in a locker room and one of your teammates looks distracted....
Scenario #2: Steering a New Mom to Safety
A friend calls you and tells you that she is pregnant and doesn’t know what to do. Then she asks, “Do you know where I can get an abortion?”
Scenario #3: Do Looks Matter?
After History class you comment to a peer how bad the Dred Scott decision was. You can’t believe that in 1857, the Supreme Court affirmed that slaves were property and the descendants of slaves from Africa were not counted as full citizens in this country. Your classmate agrees and adds, “We’ve come a long way.”
Scenario #4: Sharing a Service Project Idea
It’s lunch time at school, and you’ve been thinking about what might be within your circle of influence to help mothers choose life for their babies. You sit next to a peer whom you’d like to get to know better and strike up a conversation with, “Hey, I’d like to organize a fundraiser selling cupcakes to benefit the local Pregnancy Resource Center. Do you want to help me?” She asks you, “Why should we try to help the Pregnancy Resource Center?”
“Women are made with room for another.”
Allow about two hours (one hour for video, one hour for role playing). One parent presents the video program to three or four teen friends with youth in the front of the room and their parents in the back of the room. After presenting the video, move to another room and act out the role playing scenarios. Give each teen a chance to read the “You” part of each script. Parents take the roles in the scripts opposite of “You.” The role playing was a primary motivation for developing the T2 : Tough Topics programs. Youth in the parish wanted not only to learn about a tough topic but also to get practice articulating the principles underlying the Christian response to the topic.
13+ years old, defer to parent’s judgement. A segment of the video program contains strong and explicit material unsuitable for pre-teens. To preview sensitive segments, see sample permission slip.
Prerequisite: Some sex ed covered by parents.
See other age appropriate recommendations in Raising Children of Light.
To search for life affirming help near you such as medical services, financial assistance, work or education opportunities, material and legal support, recovery, mental health, prenatal diagnosis resources and care for children, visit herplan.org
For those suffering in the aftermath of abortion: Project Rachel
Project Rachel is a diocesan-based network of specially trained priests, religious, counselors, and laypersons who provide a team response of care for those suffering in the aftermath of abortion. In addition to referring for Sacramental Reconciliation, the ministry provides an integrated network of services, including pastoral counseling, support groups, retreats and referrals to licensed mental health professionals.
It's normal to grieve a pregnancy loss, including the loss of a child by abortion. It can form a hole in one's heart, a hole so deep that sometimes it seems nothing can fill the emptiness. Be assured that there is forgiveness, hope and healing – many women and men have participated in diocesan Project Rachel Ministries and returned to a loving relationship with God.
For those seeking pregnancy needs near the Diocese of Arlington, VA
Where to find abortion pill reversal in Virginia: https://tepeyacobgyn.com/services/abortion-pill-reversal/
Tepayac OB/GYN (703) 273-9440, select option 6 for more information and to make an appointment during regular business hours.
For free sonograms and general medical needs: https://www.ccda.net/need-help/medical-and-counseling/free-medical-clinic/ free, quality healthcare to low income individuals
free, quality healthcare to low income individuals